Two weeks to go before I ship out. Peeing myself just thinking about it.
I've been reading Cultural Misunderstandings: The French-American Experience as a little prep. I read sections of it for a French class I had on l'amitiƩ (which was also the best [French] class I've ever taken), and was excited to read it. Granted, it's twenty years out of date, but I enjoy it for putting me in the 'I'm a foreigner' role that I will play for the next coming year. It makes me feel like a total foreigner, though, since I can't relate to some of the author's perceptions on American culture. Not because they're wrong, but because I'm more Polish than I thought, I guess. For example, there's a chapitre where she explains how, in French friendships, interrupting each other in conversation is a sign of enthusiasm and attentiveness, whereas in America, it's just rude. I'm always interrupting people, usually because I get too excited over my friends' stories & then end up feeling bad because I can't contain myself. Theoretically, my spastic ways will be accepted in France.
I still don't know where I'll be staying when I arrive in France so I should probably figure that out before I develop an arrythmia. I've been worrying so much about everything that I've grown indifferent to things I should be concerned with. Eh.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment